Monday, April 02, 2012

One of them feminists ?

" Are you one of them(sic ) feminists ?" He asked .
I didn't reply .

Not because I was at a loss for words. Perhaps because I have never understood the true sense in which this word is used ( or abused ).
If we go by the dictionary meaning , then a feminist is someone who believes in  the equality of sexes. But then , why do most of the modern women shrink in horror when called thusly and retort " I am not a feminist , not in the true sense at least ? "

Coming back to yours truly . I have been through the rabiosa woman phase when I wouldnt apply makeup because I felt it was a symbol of weakness;of bowing down to social dictats that say you have to look pretty to ensnare a guy . Luckily , I am over that for quite some time.

An avant garde friend recently said that feminist is she who loves being a woman . I dont think I love being a woman all the time . Definitely not when I am travelling alone in cities like Delhi .Also not when I realise that even a reed thin guy has more  physical strength than me . Dosen't score well for me , huh ?

Some say a feminist is this sour woman who thinks whatever wrong happens in this world, its only borne by hapless females and its always the guys who are at a fault . I don't think I am this category either. I have seen many a soignee' schemeing women in my life to support that point of view.
What does that make me then ?

That's why I don't reply .

0 comments: